National

Toxic gas leak in AP aqua processing factory claims five lives

Ch R S Sarma Visakhapatnam | Updated on January 15, 2018 Published on March 30, 2017

The poisonous gas was suspected to be ammonia

Toxic gas leak from a chemical tank claimed the lives of five workers in an aqua food processing unit at Mogalturu village in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh on Thursday morning.

The poisonous gas was suspected to be ammonia, according to sources. Eight workers went into the tank to clean it and the rest managed to come out of it safely.

The tank is located over 100 meters away from Anand Aqua Food Processing unit at Nallavari Cheruvu under Mogalturu.

Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu spoke to West Godavari district Collector Katamaneni Bhaskar and enquired about the incident. He directed the collector to immediately take up relief measures.

Opposition YSR Congress leader Y Jaganmohan Reddy condoled the death of the workers and urged the government to take immediate steps immediate steps to prevent the recurrence of such incidents and to assist the families of the dead workers.

Janasena leader and film star Pawan Kalyan also issued a condolence statement and said such factories were not following the guidelines of the AP Pollution Control Board. Stringent steps should be taken against them.

sarma.rs@thehindu.co.in

Published on March 30, 2017
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor