Sports

Defending champion Nadal withdraws from US Open

DPA Berlin | Updated on August 18, 2014

Rafael Nadal Monday pulled out of the US Open because of a wrist injury.

The 2013 champion and world-ranked number two said in a statement posted on Facebook he would not be able to defend his title in the tournament starting next Monday.

“I am very sorry to announce I won’t be able to play at this year’s US Open tournament on which I’ve played 3 consecutive finals in my last participations,” he said.

“I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things...Not much more I can do right now, other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.” Nadal defeated Novak Djokovic in last year’s final to win his second U.S. Open title.

However he has not competed since losing in the fourth round of Wimbledon to 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios in four sets on July 1.

Published on August 18, 2014

Follow us on Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Linkedin. You can also download our Android App or IOS App.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor