Around 18 girls were today taken ill due to food poisoning after eating contaminated mid-day meal (MDM) in their school at Chhoti Pahari locality in Nalanda district of Bihar, police said.

The girls complained of vomiting and stomach upset soon after eating their mid-day-meal at the Girl’s Secondary School and were rushed to the Sadar Hospital, the police said.

Some of the girls alleged that there was a smell of dead lizard in the meal served to them, they said.

As this spread to the nearby villages, the family members of the affected girls rushed to the school and created noisy scenes demanding action against the school authorities.

Later, Sohsarai police station in-charge Ravi Jyoti reached the spot and pacified the agitators by promising strict action against those found guilty for serving poisoned meal, the police said.

(This article was published on May 23, 2013)
XThese are links to The Hindu Business Line suggested by Outbrain, which may or may not be relevant to the other content on this page. You can read Outbrain's privacy and cookie policy here.