Have you linked your PAN with the Aadhaar card? Taxpayers not linking PAN with Aadhaar would be required to pay a penalty ranging from ₹500 to ₹1,000, according to the income tax department.
The latest tweet by the Income Tax Department stated that a demographic mismatch may occur while linking PAN with Aadhaar.
“To further facilitate smooth linking of PAN & Aadhaar, in case of any demographic mismatch, biometric-based authentication has been provided and can be availed of at dedicated centers of PAN Service Providers (Protean & UTIITSL),” I-T said.
According to the I-T department, the failure to link PAN with Aadhaar will result in an inoperative PAN.
Follow these steps to pay the penalty to link them.
Steps to pay penalty:
- Step 1: Head to the Income Tax e-Filing portal and click on the e-Pay Tax option.
- Step 2: Enter the PAN details and continue.
- Step 3: After OTP verification, click on the proceed button under the income tax head.
- Step 4: Select Assessment Year as ‘2023-24’ and ‘Type of Payment (Minor Head)’ as ‘Other Receipts (500)’ and click the ‘Continue’ button.
- Step 5: Continue to pay the pre-filled amount against the ‘others’ option.
- Now, proceed to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
- Individuals may also check the status of PAN-Aadhaar linking on the website.