With the first list for admissions to Delhi University to be announced today, the University Grants Commission (UGC) put up three separate notices on Sunday for Delhi University, all colleges under it and students and parents, making it clear that the four-year undergraduate programme stands scrapped. It ordered colleges to admit students for the three-year course instead of the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) introduced last year.
“The admissions to academic year 2014-15 and the subsequent academic years for general undergraduate programmes shall be made in a three year structure which was prevalent in the Delhi University prior to introduction of FYUP; Appropriate arrangement shall be made for students already admitted in the academic year 2013-14 in the FYUP, to migrate to the three year undergraduate programme structure so that they do not lose an academic year….”, says a notice for all colleges.
On Saturday, a ‘defiant’ Academic Council of the University had decided to continue with a ‘tweaked’ FYUP, rejecting the UGC’s directive for scrapping it for ‘violating’ the 1986 National Education Policy and the 10+2+3 system envisaged under it.
A public notice by the UGC Chairman on Sunday, addressed to students and parents, however makes it clear that “any deviation from this directive either by the University of Delhi or any of the colleges under it shall be deemed to be in contravention of the UGC Act, 1956. The University of Delhi and all the colleges under it have already been directed to comply with these instructions. “
It said UGC had constituted a Standing Committee to advise the University of Delhi for migration from FYUP to the three-year undergraduate programme and for implementing the directives of the UGC.
The FYUP has come under fire from students and teachers alike marked by widespread agitations.
Meanwhile, the University Academic Council, in a statement, said a fourth year of study would be required for an Honours degree and that those studying for only three years would be given a bachelor’s degree. It said it was pushing back the introduction of skills-based applied courses, which were to be introduced as part of an arrangement with the National Skills Development Corporation, aimed at providing assured jobs to 42,000 undergraduate students.