Telecom operator Uninor said it is not “impacted” by today’s Supreme Court’s order which said telecom companies which were unsuccessful in availing fresh 2G spectrum and those which did not participate in the auction process will cease to operate “forthwith“.
“Uninor wishes to clarify that this order will have no impact on its operations and services in the six circles of UP (E), UP (W), Bihar and Jharkhand, AP, Maharashtra and Goa and Gujarat since Telenor Group has already secured fresh spectrum for 20 years in these (circles),” the company said in a statement.
“Uninor services in these six circles will continue uninterrupted,” it added.
The spokesperson of another operator Sistema Shyam Teleservices (SSTL) said: “Our legal counsel has confirmed that the company had filed an application on January 10, 2013 in the Honourable Supreme Court which said that the company wants to continue its operations and intends to participate in upcoming auctions in March 2013.”
The apex court had on February 2, last year cancelled 122 licences for 2G spectrum and had directed the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) to hold fresh auction for them within four months. The deadline was extended by its interim orders from time to time.
In fresh auction held in November 2012, SSTL did not participate.